Monday, November 7, 2011

Baby it's cold outside!

I have lived in different areas and have experienced "different" types of cold.  In E. Texas it is humid cold, in Nevada it is a dry cold and in Cut Bank, Montana and Barrow, Alaska it is just hands down plain out cold.  About 10 years ago give or take a couple of years the quilting world started seeing all of this beautiful printed flannel.  Before that it was mainly pastels, children's flannel or just something you would put into a sleeping bag.  When all of the new stuff came out I started collecting different colors and putting them away.  Eventually I had enough for two lap sized quilts.  One of the quilts is a raggy one, where the seams are on the outside, the other is just a simple pattern made with the new (at the time) flannel.  The other night I started pulling out my flannel quilts to put on the back of the couch and love seat.  Great for pulling over your toes when watching T.V. or just reading a book.  Unfortunately it puts me to sleep pretty darn quick!  The dogs love to see the flannel quilts come out also.  Both Stanford and Coco want to snuggle up!

3 comments:

  1. It would be interesting to map the quilt materials used in different states. You've pointed it out when you talked about the flannel. I would imagine that there aren't many flannel quilts south of the Mason-Dixon line East of the Mississippi! I've met Standford, but have yet to see Coco! Let's see them cuddled on one of your flannel quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in Colorado, I sure could use one of those flannel quilts right about now. The days are still pretty warm, but the nights get way too cold. About how long does it take you to complete a quilt? How many total have you made?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good question. Until recently I have given almost all of my quilts away. So I would have to really sit down and think but I do have pictures of the majority of them. It takes different lengths of time to make quilts. The quilt top on my tweet picture is something that I have been working on for almost 2 years. Normally it wouldn't take me that long, but with school, work and life in general sewing and quilting have been on the back burner. I have made quilts in a weekend, but that is really sewing, not many breaks and a good friend at the house talking, ironing and often cutting something that was forgotten. The one thing that you need to remember is quilts can be simple or challenging. Each one takes on its own personality and is beautiful and the person doing the sewing gets to decide. As much as I like flannel let me make a suggestion. If you have a little sewing experience look at "minkee". It is a super fine soft material that makes the best ever blankets. I made one for my husband and he calls it the sleeping blanket. Every time he throws that blanket over him he falls asleep. Thank you for the questions and I will get some more pictures up.

    ReplyDelete