Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Few Days Off

At a garage sale recently I found this old antique ladder.  On the side the person who had owned it had either carved or burned his initials into it so that made it even more special.  This is something that I have been looking for to put quilts on to display.  So while I covered the rungs of the ladder with cotton batting to protect the quilts, I found my "Crawford Family " quilt. This quilt was made in 1932 so that is 69 years ago.  It has both the Crawford and Singletary family names embroidered on the butterfly block.  I found my birth mothers under a green butterfly which read "Baby Joan, grandbaby".  My Aunt Nelva's butterfly is not aligned like the rest of the others, but that was Aunt Nelva, just a little off.  This quilt will eventually make it's way on the wall of my sewing room when I finally get time to measure and get it up.  I have to tell you this quilt gives me great pleasure and comfort looking at the butterflies but also remembering the people who are on the quilt.  Some of them known personally and others known by the stories that have been shared.  I initially was not going to put the quilt up but my aunt that I am so close too made the comment that we should be able to look at the things we love and those that have loved us.  Her comment accurately describes her home.  Mine is slowly becoming that safe haven to enjoy the things near and dear to my heart.

1 comment:

  1. How nice Jolynn! I have a quilt given to me by my mother-in-law (it was her mom's) to pass on to my daughter...I am keeping it safe for her and hope she will treasure it when she's older.

    ReplyDelete